Court orders to file case against 3 over PM’s flight glitch

Dhaka Metropolitan Court.

A Dhaka court on Wednesday ordered the authorities concerned to file a new case against three Biman officials including an engineer of the state-run airliner on charges of negligence.

The court, however, earlier acquitted all of 11 accused in the case filed on charge of conspiracy, negligence and saboteur acts.
Dhaka Metropolitan Court.

Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Judge court of Kamrul Hossain Mollah passed the order after accepting final report in the case.

Based on the appeal of the investigative officer of the case, the court ordered that a new case should be filed against three acquitted accused – technician Siddiqur Rahman, engineer (officer) Nazmul Hoque and junior technician Shah Alam under section 287 of the penal code.

On 7 December 2017, Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit inspector Mahbubul Alam submitted the final report after investigation. The investigation officer appealed to the court to give acquittal to 11 accused in the case and at the same time, he appealed before the court to submit prosecution against three accused.

The officials who were acquitted from the case are: Biman chief engineer Debesh Chowdhury, chief engineer (quality assurance) SS Siddique, principal engineer (system and maintenance) Billal Hossain, engineers Shamiul Haque, Milon Chandra Bishwas, Lutfar Rahman, Zakir Hossain and SM Rokonuzzaman.

A Boeing 777 Biman flight carrying the prime minister had to make an emergency landing at Ashgabat International Airport in Turkmenistan on her way to Budapest on 27 November 2016 following low oil pressure in its engine.

Three probe panels were formed by Biman Bangladesh Airlines, Civil Aviation Authority, Bangladesh (CAAB) and Civil Aviation and Tourism Ministry on 28 November to look into the flight trouble.

On 20 December 2016, director (Engineering and Management) of Biman Bangladesh Airlines MM Asaduzzaman filed the case against the national flag carrier officials with the Airport Police Station under the Special Powers Act.

On the following day, the DMP headquarters issued an order to transfer the case to the CTTC unit from Airport Police Station.